Sunday, September 11, 2011

What is Green Chemistry?

     When I first heard that the chemistry class I registered for was called "green goggles chemistry" I thought it had a lot to do about using chemicals that were environmentally safe, recycling recyclable materials, and making a planet a greener environment somehow.  I began to realize, before reading my chemistry textbook, that the idea of making the Earth a greener place is still a relatively new and growing idea, at least it seemed that way to me.  After I read chapter one in my textbook, I figured out that I already had a pretty good sense of what green chemistry was all about, but it is much more than just recycling and using environmentally safe chemicals.
     Green Chemistry is the study of the interaction between inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry.  It is also the study of the interaction between the atmosphere, hydrosphere, geosphere, biosphere, and most importantly the anthrosphere.  These studies can then help scientists determine what is best for the environment.  They can make valuable decisions such as eliminating harmful substances to humans and its surrounding environment, preventing any unnecessary wastes, and recycling reusable materials.  These decisions that scientist can make are part of the twelve basic principles of green chemistry.  These principles (though I only named a few) are essential to making the environment a greener place to live in.
     As I said before, green chemistry is still a growing subject.  Because of this, it is important to have scientists willing to take risks and to try out new experiments that could potentially expand our knowledge of green chemistry.  I look forward to learning even more about green chemistry in the classes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment